Did You Know…
It is estimated that 2 million children are exploited in the global commercial sex trade each year. One UNICEF report estimates that India supplied 50% of the children worldwide entering into the sex trade.
It is estimated that a child goes missing in India every 8 minutes. Young girls fetch the highest prices in the city brothels.
The BBC’s Natalia Antelava spoke to an unnamed trafficker in Kolkata who said: “I traffic 150 to 200 girls a year, (and demand is rising) starting from age 10, 11 and older, up to 16, 17, making around 1,000 dollars per child.”
- 2017 – Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report
- 2016 – Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report
- 2015 – Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report
- 2014 – Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report
- Confronting Commercial Sexual Exploitation and Sex Trafficking of Minors in the United States
- Human Trafficking in India, Stanford University, March 12, 2010
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime