200,000 persons are trafficked In India annually.² The most prevalent destination for trafficked people in India is employment in the commercial sex industry.³ In 1998 the average age of those being trafficked was 18. By 2000, the average age had dropped to 15.⁴
India’s sex industry includes some 2 million sex workers, 20% of which are under age 16.⁴
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- Justice For Women
- Dynamics of Trafficking of Women & Children in South Asia, Asia Development Bank, 2003.
- India Human Rights Report, submitted to Congress by the U.S. Secretary of State
- National Human Rights Commission, UNIFEM.
- Human Trafficking in India, Stanford University, March 12, 2010
- 2014 - Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report (excerpt)
- Full TIP report and accompanying documents